TOTAL AREA: 340 sq km (131 sq mi)
CLIMATE: tropical; little seasonal temperature variation; rainy season (May to November)
TERRAIN: volcanic, mountainous; Soufriere volcano on the island of Saint Vincent
POPULATION, YEAR 1992: 115,000
ETHNIC DIVISIONS: mainly of black African descent; remainder mixed, with some white, East Indian, Carib Indian
RELIGIONS: Anglican, Methodist, Roman Catholic, Seventh-Day Adventist
LANGUAGES: English, some French patois
TYPE: constitutional monarchy
- CAPITAL: Kingstown - ADMINISTRATIVE DIVISIONS: 6 parishes; Charlotte, Grenadines, Saint Andrew, Saint David, Saint George, Saint Patrick
- INDEPENDENCE: 27 October 1979 (from U.K.)
- CONSTITUTION: 27 October 1979
- LEGAL SYSTEM: based on English common law
- NATIONAL HOLIDAY: Independence Day, 27 October (1979)
- DIPLOMATIC REPRESENTATION: Ambassador Kingsley LAYNE; 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 102, Washington, D.C. 20036; telephone NA; US: no official presence since the Ambassador resides in Bridgetown (Barbados)
- FLAG: three vertical bands of blue (hoist side), gold (double width), and green; the gold band bears three green diamonds arranged in a V pattern
- CURRENCY: East Caribbean dollar (plural - dollars); 1 EC dollar (EC$) = 100 cents
- EXCHANGE RATES: East Caribbean dollars (EC$) per US$1--2.70
- PORTS: Kingstown
- CIVIL AIR: no major transport aircraft
- AIRPORTS: 6 total, 6 usable; 4 with permanent-surface runways; none with runways over 2,439 m; 1 with runways 1,220-2,439 m
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS: islandwide fully automatic telephone system; VHF/UHF interisland links from Saint Vincent to Barbados and the Grenadines; new SHF links to Grenada and Saint Lucia; broadcast stations - 2 AM, no FM, 1 TV (cable)
- REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Proof of U.S. citizenship, photo ID and return/onward ticket required for tourist stay up to 6 months. Proof of citizenship, return/onward ticket, and/or proof of sufficient funds necessary. Check Embassy of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, 1717 Mass. Ave., N.W., Suite 102, Washington, D.C. 20036 (202/462-7806 or 7846) or Consulate, 801 Second Ave., 21st Floor, New York, NY 10017 (212/687-4490) for further information.
- HEALTH: Yellow fever vaccination is required of travelers arriving from infected areas. Health requirements change; check latest information. - TOURIST OFFICES: St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Department of Tourism, Egmont Street, Box 834, Kingstown, West Indies; 801 Second Ave., 21st Fl., New York, NY 10017, Tel 212-687-4981; Ottawa 613-236-8952.
- WEATHER AND CLOTHING: Lightweight clothing year round. Bring rainwear May to Nov.
- TELEPHONE: When direct dialing to St. Vincent from the U.S., dial 1 + 809 + local number.
- TIME: 1 hour ahead of U.S. Eastern Standard Time, and 4 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time.
- ELECTRIC CURRENT: 220V, 50-CYCLES, AC
- NATIONAL HOLIDAYS: Caricom Day (variable); Carnival Tuesday (variable); August Monday (variable); Independence Day (Oct 27)
- TOURIST ATTRACTIONS: Kingstown--colonial architecture, esp. cathedrals, botanical gardens; Carib picture rocks; snorkeling, fishing, swimming, Soufriere volcano, shopping for local handicrafts (batik, woodworking).
- IMPORTANT!! All requirements/recommendations are subject to change. Be sure to check latest information.
Back to Home Page...